Sunday, February 3, 2008

Been Around the World and I, I, I,...

I sent the link to this blog to a friend of mine, whom I happen to work for for a few years. He tongue-in-cheek asked where his photo credit was for my "profile image". It's such a nice one, I decided he was high right. That started my mind wandering through the experiences we got up to during those couple of years. For instance, the photo on the right was taken in the office of Bjarne Stroustrap, the creator of C++. Those are his actual notes on the board. The guy is a genius, but works in College Station, TX at A&M...A&M!!! Well, here are some highlights, in no particular order (chronologically, or otherwise):

-I've been to Moscow. I've eaten beluga caviar on Pushkin Square, followed by the most supreme Russian vodka you can't get in America. I traversed the subway system of Moscow, by myself, and purchased wall paper (which was some feat).

-I've stayed at a Ritz Carleton (in Montreal).

-I met Floyd Landis before he was officially guilty, and almost broke his Tour de France trophy.

-I've been to a real, bizarre catillian in Laredo where the girls dressed up like Martha Washington.

-I had never been to California before we covered Team T-Mobile for Stern (a German magazine...it's always cooler saying your with the foreign press). On this trip I got to see Napa and Sanoma, eat an amazing meal in Monterey accompanied by an amazing wine made down the road, see miles of artichoke fields, see San Francisco, walk on the Golden Gate Bridge, see some cycling heros of mine up and close, and most importantly, prep for the Tour de France.

-I've stood in a field in Kansas waiting for a meteorite hunter to dig a hole while the freezing wind whipped around (this was the second trip, but that's another story).

-I've been deep inside a bat cave populated by about 2 million bats. The trek in was up and down guano piles three times my height. With nothing but headlamps to light the way, and in head to toe biohazard gear, it felt like walking on the moon. Just as we started setting up lights to shoot in the cave, I got really dehydrated, and started panicking because I didn't think I was going to make it out. I really thought I was going to pass out and Brent and our guide were going to have to drag me out over these hills of bat crap. Later on, after escaping from the cave, I held a light extended over the topside opening cave as hundreds of thousands of bat swirled like a hurricane below, waiting to make their nightly voyage.

-I've been to Augusta. It is beautiful.

-I've been on the sidelines during a University of Texas game.

-I've seen the sun set over Portland. I've eaten sushi in Portland. I can't decide which was more divine.

-I've camped in the valley of the Swiss Alps, and woken up to the sounds of a waterfall, church bells echoing in the valley, a sheep's bell tingling near my tent.

-I've hiked in the Swiss alps.

-I've had Belgian Abby Ale in Belgium.

-I've hiked the French Alps.

-I've climbed some of the most infamous ascents in the Tour.

-I've been to an olive orchard in Provance, and tasted olive oil that had just been pressed.

-I've eaten calamari in Marsielle.

-I've climbed to the top of a mountain just north of Marsielle and looked out over the city and to the Mediterranian beyond.

-I've eaten fresh roast pig in the Pyraneese.

-I've talked politics, education, religion, and the general state of the world with the Dutch.

-I've been to Germany...indescribable.

-I saw New Orleans not long after Katrina.

-I've been to Scarface's house, and ridden in a Kennedy boat just out side of Miami.

-I got to work with one of the great portrait photographers, Mark Seliger, and hang out with Quinten Tarrantino and Fionna Apple.

-I've driven a 5ft. stake into the bed of a river while up to my waist in the water.

-I've RUN with the donkeys in Colorado.

-I've ridden in a NASCAR around the Texas Motor Speedway, and been in the pit during a race.

-I've been in a cherry-picker overlooking thousands of people dancing to the Chili Peppers on a perfect night with all of Chicago as the backdrop.

-I've met many musical heros during Lalapalooza and the two ACL Fests I've worked.

-I've met the Chairman of the Republican National Committee.

-I've been on the campaign trail with Ron Paul.

-I've met a recognized terrorist in the desert of Arizona.

-I've worn a real astronaut suit and eaten astronaut food...the previous was more fun.

-I've eaten great Chinese food with unbelievable Ping Pong players.


There are so many things that I'm forgetting, but all of this is to say "thanks" Brent.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holy crap, I had no idea you had done all of this stuff. I feel extremely uncultured right now.