Thursday, June 12, 2008

Phil Hale, Brewmiester

I had been looking forward to brewing beer since I decided to stop by Bancroft on the way to seminary. Although it was pretty labor intensive, I truly loved the process. I don't think I'll be doing it on my own though.


First, you let Phil do all the complicated calculations and measurements:

Then you set out all the equipment you'll need:

Next, you let someone with HUGE shoulder muscles (me) mill the barley:

After that, you'll want to disinfect the "carboy" (whatever that is):

And magically, BEER APPEARS! OUT OF NOWHERE!

We brewed a Munich-style Helles with the deconcoction method. Started around 6 and finished around midnight. This brew should be ready for consumption sometime in the next century (or whatever the ridiculously long time-frame was Phil told me).

No comments: