Friday, December 25, 2009

Julafton (Christmas Eve)

Christmas Eve is celebrated in Finland like Christmas day is celebrated in the U.S. In case my mom was worrying, they did feed me well:

We had a special glazed ham, roast, mashed potatoes, paté, two kinds of homemade bread, pickles, beet salad, rutabega casserole, some carrot dish that was good, potato salad, smoked salmon, fruit salad and other things...

Here is the fruit salad. It had boiled egg yolks on top!


Then something terrifying happened:

The Christmas Eve tradition is that some dress up as Tomten (Santa Claus) and go around and hand out your presents to everyone. This is all well and good, but the way that they let you know that they're there is to walk up to the window (in the pitch black) and know on the window! I reached for my gun, but didn't have it.


CAAAARRREEEPPPYYYYY!!!!!

The kids seemed to enjoy it though, and it was pretty neat; I just was not prepared mentally or militarily.


After everyone picked themselves up off the floor from laughing at me, they made up for it with coffee and a good spread of dessert!

1 comment:

Jonathan K said...

I haven't had rutabegas in a long time. Used to love those things.

And yes, those "Santas" are creep.